IDEX Biometrics – Let’s Talk Software
In our third 2021 Let’s Talk post on how IDEX Biometrics is more than just a component supplier, Peter Kollig, Senior Director of Engineering, Systems Architecture at IDEX Biometrics talks about the software components of the biometric platform.
Creating new and exciting technology has become increasingly popular, and IDEX’s solution is no exception. Building a complete end-to-end solution by making use of subject matter experts and engaging customers for feedback, IDEX’s software stands out among our competition.
IDEX Biometrics’ software and firmware, running on the TrustedBio™ System-on-Chip (SOC) and on the Secure Element (SE), includes:
- Biometric host interface software with significant power signaling and coexistence extensions added to the protocol
- Power Management (PM) software to measure the amount of power available in the Near Field Communication (NFC) field, to provide power budgets for the TrustedBio sensor and the SE, to utilize clock scaling and parallel use of HW resources to optimize system latency and protect from unexpected reduction in available electrical power (known as brown-out)
- Image sensor acquisition software
- Enroll and Match software
- Commercial Real-time Operating System (RTOS)
- Secure Element Biometric Software Development Kit (SE-B-SDK), which helps customers integrate the biometric system into the payment application. The SDK is available for multiple SEs
- Biometric verification algorithm split between SE and Biometric-MCU (B-MCU) Secure channel implementation based on primitives from the Global Platform Secure Channel Protocol 03 (GP-SCP-03).
- SE demo code that allows communications with the card reader without the full Card Operating System (COS) and payment application
- Software tools for card integration at the customer site, for production testing, and for biometric certification.
IDEX Biometrics can deliver just the fingerprint sensors, the fingerprints modules (which includes the biometric algorithm) or the full platform to customers. Whatever customers prefer to develop their biometric smart card or embedded device.
In providing the flexibility in the solutions we can integrate our biometric authentication technology into pre-existing systems. This is yet another factor that sets IDEX Biometrics apart from its competition. The level of customization is unparalleled, and the testing involved before the customer ever sees the product ensures that our customers have a complete working biometric smart card.
The previous post in our 2021 Let’s Talk series on more than a component supplier looked at the Hardware Components of IDEX Biometrics’ Fingerprint Sensors and Biometric Solutions.