IP & PATENTS
IDEX Biometrics’ portfolio of more than 200 patents and applications reflects three dimensions of innovation in the company and provides a foundation for value creation.
- IDEX’s patent portfolio has applicability across multiple industry sectors, including smart cards for payments, smart cards for government ID, smart cards for access control plus mobile, automotive and the Internet of Things
- Patent protection reaches across the globe into key markets for biometrics including China, Europe, India and the USA
- Patent claims extend beyond fingerprinting into all types of biometric sensing
- Inventor names on IDEX patents reveal the rich diversity of our teams and reflect the spread of technical experience and expertise at all levels of the company and in every one of our R&D offices.
Depth of Innovation
- IDEX’s patent portfolio delves deep into the complex technologies required to deploy biometrics, including foundational sensing principles, biometric matching algorithms, enrollment, sensor design and packaging, mechanical mounting, power management and platform architecture.
Timeline of Innovation
- IDEX’s patent portfolio has a long tail, with priority filing dates stretching back to the earliest days of fingerprint sensor development by the industry with our first patent being filed in 1998.
- Significant acquisitions in 2013 and 2014, of patents from Picofield and Metadyne, immediately boosted the portfolio in touch sensing and biometric algorithms and IDEX continues to grow these important patent families today
- IDEX continues to increase its rate of innovation with time, filing more new patents in 2017 than in any year since the company’s inception. 2018 was a record year for the number of new US patents granted to IDEX.
- As of September 2019, IDEX has over 200 patents and applications.